Saturday 16 March 2013

Touch by Melissa Haag


Title: Touch
Author: Melissa Haag
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy, Magic
Source: ARC
Pages: 322 pages
Rating: 4 stars

Available at:

Blurb: (via Goodreads)

A touch. That’s all it takes for Tessa to know her future with a boy. Her mom tells her she needs to choose her best option before she turns seventeen. Problem is, she sees all her ‘options’ dying before they turn thirty. That may have worked for the last fourteen generations of women in her family tree, but she can’t choose and condemn someone to an early grave.


An unfortunate incident at school starts a chain of events that reveals a centuries old chaos demon and a chance to remove her 'gift' forever.


My Review:

If you have read my earlier reviews, you are aware of my praise of Melissa Haag's work. After reading her first book, Hope(less) [a MUST READ!] Melissa gave me a second book of hers, Touch, in exchange for another honest review. I don't have a lot to say about this book, so I am going to keep it short and sweet and get straight to the point.    

The book was, essentially, about the love story. It was the central focus and on that level, it was pretty good. You fall in love with the story, and Morik, despite what he is to the rest of the world. Melissa invokes a sense of loneliness in him that you can FEEL through her righting and makes your heart ache for him. 

If I'm going to be honest though, Touch wasn't as good as Hope(less). I feel like there wasn't a huge conflict. There were a few things a found lacking. There was an antagonist, another demon, but he wasn't introduced until late and I felt that his efforts to get what he wanted were slack and not very motivated. We only saw a few instances of him and it seemed that he would show up in bursts. He came, did something the main characters didn't appreciate, then disappeared for a bit. He never did any MAJOR damage... with one exception, but the fallout was a little predictable. If there was a major conflict, it was Tessa's mind and her family getting in the way of what her heart wanted. That was the biggest conflict we saw in the beginning before our antagonist came along. 

Now! Don't let thing discourage you! It was still an amazing book. The interactions between the main character and the people around her were excellently written and incredibly realistic. Character development was excellent, as per usual in Melissa Haag's work, and even minor characters had huge personalities. I think the character development here was even more outstanding than in Hope(less). I fell in love with the whole tattoo aspect that you will discover when you read the novel. That may have something to do with the fact that I am a huge tattoo lover, but the meaning behind it and the way it is brought on was so cool and interesting to read about!

Overall, it was a really good book. If you want to read a fantasy romance, this is the book for you. I don't think there is a sequel... But if I'm wrong I'm sure that Melissa will correct me! I'd give this book 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment