Saturday 2 March 2013

Big Bad Bite by Jessie Lane

Title: Big Bad Bite
Author: Jessie Lane
Series: Big Bad Bite Series #1
Genre: Adult, Romance, Fantasy, Werewolves
Source: Kindle
Pages: 350 pages
Rating: 3 stars

Available at:

Blurb: (via Goodreads)
  What would it be like to live in a world where you are considered abnormal to those who are above the norm?

Jenna O’ Conner has been taught her whole life to hide from everyone. Never to let anyone to close enough to know that she would prefer a shotgun for her birthday over of a bouquet of roses. She’s been smothered by her over protective family so that no one learns what she truly is. Which is not human. Nor, is she considered the norm for the supernatural Other community that is benevolent enough to share this world with the humans.

In a desperate attempt to live her own life away from the small town she was raised in, Jenna obtains her dream job as the newest member on the Wilmington Police Department’s SWAT Team. What she didn’t predict was that she would run into trouble her first day on the job, in the form of a deadly, mouthwatering man named Adam McPhee. Who is also not human, but more like a wolf walking around in human skin. He’s determined to figure out exactly what Jenna is, which unbeknownst to him, could very well put her life in danger. He’s also determined to have her all to himself. 

As if that wasn’t enough for Jenna to deal with, bad news blows into town. A group of extremist Shifters who think humans are cattle and factions of Others worldwide should stay within their own species - never to intermingle. Chaos ensues. Jenna has to find a way to shut them down, but in the process of trying to do that, discovers things about herself that even she never thought was possible. 

Who said the wolf was what you had to worry about?
Welcome to the real world.

My Review:
Finally, FINALLY, a decent werewolf book.

I picked up this book from 'my recommendation' from my amazon account. I read the book description and I simply thought, why not? Now over the past month, I have been giving shifter/ werewolf books chance after chance and honestly, everything I read felt done before... Now, before I get into my review, I would like to note that this was also the case with this book. The story, like most stories now a days, HAVE been done over and over. The difference with this book was that the author kept my attention long enough to finish her take on an old tale.

Character development- My favourite section to pick apart. Honestly, Jessie Lane didn't do a bad job of it. I loved the main character, I loved all the supporting characters. I did feel that we didn't really get to see the full extent of who the supporting characters were because the story was largely focused on the main character and her love interest, however, I discovered that the sequel to Big Bad Bite will be written in one of said supporting characters points of view. This trend will probably be carried on through the series. So although I don't particularly like when the author does this, it does solve the problem of trying to develop a whole range of characters in one book and saves me from having to complain about it.

Plot- I felt that the Plot was the only thing that lacked. There is this Big Bad in the story, as there is with all stories, but the author was so focused on trying to write the romance that she kind of let the antagonist slip away. Sure, you see glimpses of it, but it was definitely not everything it could have been, especially for a 350 page book. The only other complaint I think I have was that the author made a big deal of a couple of things that kind of fizzled out. (this is the main reason for the mediocre rating may I note). First, the author makes a big deal of Jenna being the only girl on the SWAT team, but there are only two SWAT scenes in the entire book. The second, is the fact that she has been held a secret her whole entire life because she is an 'abnormally' (a fact I eventually understood, but could have been explained better) and then when the truth comes out to a shit ton of people, nothing happens. It almost seems as though it was all for not. She could have played that better.

Overall, I think that the strongest point that basically carried this story through was Jenna's personality. Her ignorance of the new world that she has been thrusted into gives cause for constant enjoyment and Jenna was a hilarious character and I enjoyed every time when sound came out of her mouth. She was sarcastic, and rude, and a demanding presence that made me want to read more. Adding to that, what little I got to see with Jenna's Mama, one scene in particular, was probably by far the best scene in the book. I see were Jenna gets her attitude from! Not a bad book, and probably one of the better books that has revolved around a werewolf that I have read in a long while.

No comments:

Post a Comment