Saturday 1 December 2012

Morrigan by Laura Deluca

Title: Morrigan
Author: Laura Deluca
Genre: Young Adult, Romance
Source: Kindle
Pages: 320 pages
Rating: 1 star

Available at:

Blurb: (via Goodreads)
Shuffled from place to place in the foster system, Morrigan doesn't know the meaning of home. Plus, she is different. She has power over fire, the ability to move objects with her mind, and glimpse into the future. Just when she believes her life can’t get any stranger, she discovers her true identity.

Filtiarn, a knight with a dark past and a surprising secret, has been tasked with guiding the heir of Tír na NÓg through countless perils to be returned to her family. Once Morrigan has been reunited with her mother and grandmother, their triad can save the forgotten land of magic from being devoured by an ancient evil.

My Review:
This was one of the most painful books to get through I have ever read. Now, anyone who reads my blog now knows I love me my cliche stories. However, I only like the cliche stories if there is excellent writing to accompany it. Deluca's writing was just short of atrocious.

My biggest pet peeve in this book was the dialogue. It was immature, completely unrealistic, and majorly lacking development. This was especially apparent in any dialogue scenes between the two main characters/love interests. There are no words to express how bad some scenes between them were. That being said, some of those scenes would have been bearable if there was ANY build up to their relationship at all. This brought a whole new aspect to love at first sight in the worst way.  Hell, even Bella and Edward had some build up to their relationship, and if not that, there were conflict that constantly prevented them being together. This story had no major conflicts between the two main characters at all. When one, very uncreative and completely predictable, conflict came up, it was very quickly resolved and they continued with their happily ever after.

That being said, the only thing this book had going for it was potential for a really great plot. I do say 'potential' because the writing of the book destroyed any possibility it had to become great. Things moved too fast with very minor resistance and every instance of resistance was resolved without a hitch. I did like the whole 'who is bad, who is good' aspect of the story, but even that became to obvious half way through. One of the biggest disappointment for me was the lack of Morrigan (the main character) using her powers effectively. They were kind of just thrown in there for convenience. It would have been nice to see more development of her powers, or an instance where they failed her so utterly that something tragic happened. This ALMOST happened in the book, but her powers just BAM came back to save the love of her life before he could have been killed.

I know it is easy to criticize a book and I want people to realize I dont do it lightly. I have alot of great ideas for stories, but I know I don't have the writing skills necessary to do them justice. This book is one of those situations. I would rate this story 1 star, and thats being generous. It should be mentioned also that I returned this book after reading it. I felt no need to keep it in my library.

No comments:

Post a Comment