Monday 13 May 2013

Until I Die by Amy Plum

Title: Until I Die
Author: Amy Plum
Series: Revenant #2
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy, Mystery
Source: Kindle
Pages: 353 pages
Rating: 5 stars

Available at:

Blurb: (via Goodreads)
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.

My Review: 
You can read my review of the first novel in this series, Die for Me, HERE. GAH! Yes, that is m first word after rereading this book, GAH! Now I remember why I was pining away for the third book in the series... because Until I Die leaves such a huge frikken cliffhanger!

Okay, let's be a bit more professional about this, shall we? Or rather, shall I? Until I Die was a definite step up from the first book of the series, Die For Me. Amy Plum still has an amazing way with words and completely captivates her audience into her supernatural world of good and evil. Revenants whose sole purpose in this world is to die over and over to save others, and Numas, who have the opposite purpose to take away lives. I loved every second of every word I read, even the infuriating, frustrating and heartbreaking ones that made me want to do something drastic... somewhere between punching or strangling my pillow.

Going straight into the good parts, Plum sets up the story line so much more in Until I Die. Book 1, Die For Me, was more focused on the love story with a subplot of the evil numas. I loved Until I Die because now that Vincent and Kate's love life is well established, a majority of the focus was on the antagonistic aspect of the longterm story plot. It plainer words, we get to see a lot more of the battles against the bad guy. Something that was severely lacking from Die For Me. I also loved this book because the ending kind of blind sides you. I mean, all of the signs were there, I just got so wrapped up in the lives of these fictional characters that I went against my instincts and missed all of them. I don't know if I should credit that to Amy Plum's fantastic writing, or go check if I have a fever or something :p

Now, looking at the bad side, it's more of the same. Vincent and Kate's blinding love. They do stuff that worries and infuriates each other, and BAM a sorry is said and al is forgiven. No resentment or anger left at all. I am sorry, that may happen in a perfect world, but no love life is like that. No WOMAN is like that. Maybe I just don't have a lot of faith in my very own sex, but especially for Kate's personality and character, and how she is written, I can't see her being the girl that just blindly forgives people like that.

Now I just have one last comment to leave y'all on... and WARNING! THIS IS A TINY BIT OF A SPOILER... Is it just me or is Jules kinda in love with Kate? I mean all the signs are there... genuine concern for her safety, the obvious hints hidden behind the shamless flirting... I wonder if something will come of it in book three... something I am going to start reading the second I post this review.

Anyways, I have now voiced my opinion. Amy Plum did a better job with this book than she did with the first in the series. Bravo Amy! 5 stars for book 2 and an A. I can't wait to start book 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment