Wednesday 3 April 2013

Deadly Sting by Jennifer Estep


            WARNING: May contain spoilers of previous novels in the series!
Title: Deadly Sting
Author: Jennifer Estep
Series: Elemental Assassin #8
Genre: Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Magic, Assassin
Source: Kindle
Pages: 400
Rating: 4 stars

Available at:
Amazon(.ca) • Goodreads • Amazon(.com)

Blurb: (via Goodreads)
Most people shy away from blood, but for an assassin like me— Gin Blanco, aka the Spider—it’s just part of the job. Still, it would be nice to get a night off, especially when I’m attending the biggest gala event of the summer at Briartop, Ashland’s fanciest art museum. But it’s just not meant to be. For this exhibition of my late nemesis’s priceless possessions is not only the place to be seen, but the place to be robbed and taken hostage at gunpoint as well. No sooner did I get my champagne than a bunch of the unluckiest thieves ever burst into the museum and started looting the place.

Unlucky why? Because I brought along a couple of knives in addition to my killer dress. Add these to my Ice and Stone magic, and nothing makes me happier than showing the bad guys why red really is my color.

My Review:
Let me start off my saying that I love Jennifer Estep. I follow a couple of her series and I think she is a fantastic and creative writer. I enjoy absolutely everything she writes. 

Now saying that… this is the eighth book and plot-wise, my interest is waning. We all know how it goes. Gin is a Bad Ass (notice the capital B and A). She is all powerful, quite literally has some epic ninja skills, and after she beats the bad guy and nearly dies in the process, she has Jo-Jo heal her all up and she is fit as a fiddle. This book followed the pattern to the T. But us devoted Elemental Assassin readers aren’t so dedicated because of the plot anymore, are we? No, we want to know: What happens between Gin and Owen?!

Well, hate to break it to you, but the answer is a whole hell of a lot of more complicated. Looks like another book is in out future. Of course, I already knew that though because, as I said, I am a huge fan of Jennifer Estep (aka I stalk her website to learn about when new books are coming and read every description, sneak peak, and spoiler I can get my grubby hands on). I just can’t wait until the two finally get together. Gin deserves her happily-ever-after. Over the past 8 books, shes handed out more than her fair share, that’s for sure.

Anyways, back to the book. After Mab was defeated, each book has kind of been a filler to play out the love story until a new BIG BAD comes to play the field. After reading book 8, I think that this may just happen in book 9. Good timing too, we are in desperate need of some stability here, like a bad guy we can hate for a few books before Gin defeats them. But for all the books faults long-term wise, I will say this much: Jennifer knows how to write, and write well. Short-term wise, she’s kind of a God. Each book has plenty of action that is written so realistically and creatively, you find your heart pounding at every swipe of her blade. She knows how to build suspense and how to give you just enough information to satisfy your curiosity while leaving you wanting more until the truth all comes out. She DEFINITLEY knows the meaning of ‘subtle hints’.

Overall, it was a good book, but not a great one. However, I am still both a dedicated Jennifer Estep fan, as well as a Elemental Assassin fan. I DO REALLY want to know what happens between Owen and Gin after all :p I guess we’ll find out soon enough. 4 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment