Sunday 6 January 2013

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Title: Sweet Evil
Author: Wendy Higgins
Series: The Sweet Trilogy #1
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Angels, Demons, Fantasy
Source: Kindle
Pages: 453 pages
Rating: 4.5 stars

Available at:

Blurb: (via Goodreads)
Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

My Review:
Everyone knows that Angel books aren't my favourite, however, I was pleasantly surprised by Sweet Evil. It wasn't exactly like other Nephilim books I had read. The half angel, half human creatures that are Nephilim weren't tortured souls that were pure of heart and needed saving. On the contrary! They were evil little devils, with some heart, that (for the most part) liked the evil they spread. All save for our main heroine that is, but she wasn't any old Nephilim, was she?

I loved the characters in the story. I wish i got to see more of Kopano though. I felt his character was under played. I am going to start on the second book tomorrow and I truly hope that I get to see more of him in it. I LOVED seeing the relationship between Anna and her Fallen-Angel father. Especially the scene where they first met after 16 years. It touched my heart a little bit. If I had to choose one scene out of the whole novel, without giving to much away, that would be it.

Another thing I loved is how it wasn't another cliche best friends fall in love story. The author tells us straight up in the beginning of the book that nothing was going to happen between them and I was so glad it didn't. I had read enough of those books.  

The only thing I wasn't psyched about was time in proportion to the plot line. Time seemed to move extremely quick. We learn at one point that Anna is upset and depressed, but the weeks she is down in the dumps is described in three pages. I would have loved to see a whole chapter on it. Especially because Anna is such a innocent and good natured protagonist, despite the amount of evil in her, it would have been nice to see those insecurities and evilness show on the surface and read about it for a longer length of the novel. Saying that, the book was over 450 pages, so I understand that there was probably a page restraint.

Over all, the book deserves 4.5 stars on the angel loving book scale in my opinion. However, since I am not a fan of angel stories, I'm going to knock it down to a 8.8/10 out of my personal taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment